When You Need a Licensed Electrician

Electrician service

If you’ve just purchased your first home, you want to be sure that a licensed electrician inspects your entire electrical system in order to be sure there aren’t any existing or potential issues. Furthermore, you also want to have an electrician determine whether or not everything is up to code. This can be a concern when purchasing older homes, particularly when some of these may have faulty wiring or be unable to accommodate modern appliances.

When remodeling your home, a licensed electrician will also be needed to ensure that you have the appropriate number and type of sockets along with other essential components, such as breakers. Once you’re all settled into your new home, you may also be considering a few additional light fixture installations as well as other services that can be provided by a full service electrician.

Some professional electricians will recommend that your home should be evaluated every 15 years to ensure that there aren’t any potential hazards. The Electrical Safety Foundation International, however, indicates that a complete electrical evaluation should be completed in homes that are 40 years or older.

The types of main breakers that are used in most types of residential situations come in varying sizes. The most common, however, are 100 and 200-amp breakers. If you are experiencing issues with your circuit breakers tripping, there are 2 primary reasons that this may occur.

First of all, your circuit breakers could be overloaded. When circuits are overloaded, they may be attempting to draw on more power than they can safely handle. Secondly, they could be short circuiting. Basically, this can occur when the electrical current escapes the circuit wires. This results in the current being rerouted to areas where it shouldn’t be flowing.

Do you have 2-prong or 3-prong outlets in your home? It’s important to note that the 3-pronged type can actually minimize the risk of receiving an electrical shock.

When it comes to electrical devices and home appliances, it’s important to be aware of the voltage level required by these necessary conveniences. While some of these only require 120-volt outlets, others may require outlets than can handle 240 volts. This information should be contained within the product inserts or packaging. If not, your electrician will be able to determine this for you.

When you have an electrical outlet within 6 feet of a bathroom, kitchen, or laundry room sink, there needs to be a ground-fault circuit-interruptor. In some cases, such as with washers and dryers, a dedicated circuit will usually be needed to serve each of those appliances.

Are you planning to remodel your kitchen? Your electrical contractor will inform you that you’ll need a minimum of 7 circuits. In addition to making sure that your kitchen has 2, 20-amp small appliance circuits, 5 dedicated circuits will be needed for other appliances. The basic rule is that if these appliances contain motors, they will require a dedicated circuit.

When you contact your local electrician to inspect your home’s electrical systems, they will be able to make the necessary repairs you need as well as install new wiring systems.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Antique Videos

Article Calendar

October 2018
« Sep